New Year Update


A really quick run-through of what been going on. It’s so factual that I don’t even know why anyone would be interested but if I’m going to blog, I shouldn’t leave big holes.

I had a great few days remaining in London before leaving for Christmas. I’m really exploiting my memberships for museums now. 30 and proud. My appetite was back so I got to enjoy a few Christmas meet ups with mates. My liver surgeon rudely said I should not drink before surgery, but things were so festive it doesn’t really matter, and I’ve had some great nights with friends. As well as nights in recovering, of course, and trying to get Izzy to watch Mad Men as much as possible.

I went back to Cardiff to see my mums’ side of the family on the 22nd and we got our huge family argument out of the way nice and early the next day, leaving the time free for an incredibly great Christmas day and time around it, seeing extended family and Cardiff friends. It was actually less argumentative than normal – maybe my not drinking had something to do with that!

Judge Rinder and family


My dad then picked my sister and I up on the 27th to take us to Dorset. It must have been a hard day for him because it is normally a 4 hour round trip but ended up being a hell of a lot longer due to traffic. Made worse as it was his birthday, but we made it and had a quiet night. The next day was festive, and my friend Vinh came to celebrate with us. Once we had established that Vinh was Vietnamese we enjoyed the Christmas meal and played an (actually) fun game my sister has ‘invented’ and we've now played multiple times. I think  she is planning on trademarking it soon.

Then things got really interesting.  

I have very little memory, but I got severely unwell overnight and was throwing up. The next day I think I spent almost entirely in spent in bed and being force fed by my sister, in dark lighting, as Vinh said, ‘like in a Victorian plague scene’. All sounds very grim, but my family took great care of me. The next day I believe it was decided in the evening to drive me home to London to be close to the hospital, but in the car ride to just take me straight to the hospital. Great logic by my family as once in hospital they said I had a fever and put me on fluids. Somehow after just some IV fluids I was discharged and had 2 days at home.

I have no memory really of what happened really in these 2 days except hanging out with Izzy (no Mad Men) and watching Peep Show. I spent a lot of time feeling lethargic, looking pale and sleeping and I think in the evening I was taken to hospital again. This time they decided to give me 2 blood transfusions. Apparently Silicon Valley CEO’s get them from high performing students to keep their energy levels up so its very much a good thing to get one (let alone two). Once again, I am Steve Jobs.

So as per protocol, I was released from hospital feeling quite well. But actually, for good this time. Apparently, I was just anaemic this whole time! Will be on a high steak diet for the time being. So that was Sunday, and I had a Monday feeling very normal. Which leads nicely to the next blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post - The Switch and Call to Arms!

Accepting Terminal Illness

Coughing my way through Covid